System Progressive Protection is the new face of Live Security Platinum. This rogue antivirus is coming from WinwebSec family which is spreading such viruses very frequently with different names. A few days ago, a fake antivirus software called Live Security Platinum was infecting thousands of computers everyday and now its name has been changed to System Progressive Protection but the malicious features are same.
System Progressive Protection gets into your computer via various sneaky methods. This includes sneaky redirects, fake on-line scans, downloads from un-trusted sites and installing applications in your system without verifying their source. If you visit file sharing sites as well as torrent sites quite often and download stuff from there, you’re going to get malware in your computer sooner or later. Never download and install stuff from sites which look suspicious as you could be downloading and installing the virus yourself.
Once System Progressive Protection is installed in your computer, It won’t let you do anything. It will keep blocking all the applications you try to run as well as It will also block simple programs like Notepad. System Progressive Protection will not let you run anything and It does this to protect itself from genuine malware applications. System Progressive Protection will do a bogus scan of your computer and show you infections which are not really present in your computer. After its exaggerated scans, It will tell you that you can fix all the problems If you buy full version of System Progressive Protection. The truth is, there are no infections present on your computer and you need to remove System Progressive Protection as soon as possible. Here is a screenshot of System Progressive Protection starting a bogus scan :
System Progressive Protection will manipulate your computer’s settings and show fake alerts from System Tray as well. You might believe that these alerts are being displayed by Windows but now you know the truth. All the error messages which are popping up recently are manufactured by System Progressive Protection. Some of the error messages are :
System Progressive Protection warning
Spyware.IEMonster activity detected. This is spyware that attempts to steal passwords from Internet Explorer, Mozila Firefox, Outlook and other programs.
Click here to remove it immediately with System Progressive Protection
System Progressive Protection Warning
Your PC is still infected with dangerous viruses. Activate antivirus protection to prevent data loss and avoid the theft of your credit card details.
Above error messages are fake but If you are not aware of this scam, you might believe above error messages and get excessively worried for no reason. There is no such thing happening on your computer as System Progressive Protection is showing those fake alerts so that you buy full version as soon as possible. The whole goal is getting your money and then giving you a fake registration key. Once you enter that key in the software, It will stop showing fake alerts and tell you that now your computer is free from all the viruses. Don’t pay for this scam software and If you’ve already done that, contact your credit card company and dispute the charge.
How To Remove System Progressive Protection
System Progressive Protection blocks everything on your computer to ensure you can’t use any software products against it. System Progressive Protection actively checks running processes on your computer and as soon as you try to run a software, It will close it forcefully and tell you that the program you are trying to run is infected with malware.
We have tested System Progressive Protection on our test computers and It is really malicious. We have discovered two removal methods which are very effective for removing this malware from your computer. First method is completely automatic and recommended while the other one is manual and requires extensive computer knowledge. Here is how to remove System Progressive Protection :
A) Remove System Progressive Protection Automatically – Easiest Method
As the name implies, this method is all about using a genuine anti-malware application to remove the infection. This removal method is fast and guarantees complete removal of rogue software from your computer. All you need to do is run the software, do a scan and remove all the infections, that’s it. Here is how to perform automatic removal of malware :
1. While System Progressive Protection is running in your computer, Click on Start—>Run. This will show the Run dialog Box.
2. Please type “http://www.removesystemprogressiveprotection.com/download.php” (without any quotation marks) and click on OK button. If you face any problems, alternatively, you can also click on this button to download the removal tool :
3. As soon as the download starts, please save the file as “explorer.exe” on the desktop. Please keep in mind that you MUST save the file as “explorer.exe” on the desktop so that System Progressive Protection can’t block it from running. Just for your information, this malware doesn’t block the process which are critical Windows Processes and “explorer.exe” is one of them.
4. When the download is complete, double click over “explorer.exe” file on the desktop and this file will terminate System Progressive Protection virus forcefully. Now install the anti-malware application (which is Spy Hunter) and do a full scan of your computer. Please note that you must do a full scan of the computer to remove the virus files so that It can’t bug you later when you restart your computer.
5. Now Spy Hunter will scan all the files and folders on your computer for possible infections. It will detect System Progressive Protection automatically and after the scan is complete, click “Fix Threats” button to get rid of all the malware residing in your computer.
See this removal video showing how we removed system progressive protection easily following above steps :
B) Remove System Progressive Protection Manually – Tedious Method
Manual removal of System Progressive Protection is not easy and It can be a tough task If you don’t know how to deal with malwares and viruses. If you follow manual removal method, you need to remove all the infected files, registry entries and icons yourself without any help.
On one hand, If you leave traces of the virus on your computer, your computer is still in danger. On the other hand, If you remove wrong files based on your guesswork or mess up with registry, your computer can get into further mess. For this reason, we recommend manual removal steps only for guys who are well versed with computers. Here is what you need to do :
1. First of all, you need to terminate active process of System Progressive Protection. To do that, Download Process Explorer and save it as “explorer.exe” on desktop.
2. Run Process Explorer and It will show you a list of active processes on your computer. Find the process related to System Progressive Protection, select that process, right click over it and select “End Process Tree” to terminate the malware temporarily.
3. After terminating the malware temporarily, remove these registry entries so that malware can’t launch itself on next reboot. To edit the registry, please click on Start—>Run, type “regedit” and click OK button. Browse the registry carefully and remove the start up entry :
4. After correcting the registry, remove the following infected files from your computer :
%CommonAppData%\<strange numbers and characters>\
%CommonAppData%\<strange numbers and chars>\<strange name>.exe
%CommonAppData%\<strange numbers and chars>\<System Progressive Protection.ico
After removing infected files, now your computer should be free from this malware. Restart your computer and check If everything is working fine. It is always a good idea to scan your computer with a genuine malware application so that you can find malwares which are hiding in your computer without your permission. If you don’t get success with manual removal steps, you can always try you hands on automatic removal method.